At the time of Turkish occupation, the rich Užice, Nova Varošand Priboj beys’ families were spending their summers in their porches on the mountain pastures. A rich merchant from Sarajevo, Hadži Nikola Selak built a summer cottage of pine tree logs on Vodice in 1750, which tells that even then Zlatibor was used for vacation and recovering. When Serbia got its freedom, the rich Užice merchant’s families were spending summers on Zlatibor instead of beys and hajis.They started building log houses for rest on hired or on their own mountain pastures. / Đenić S., 2009 /
Since the ancient times its healing character has been known and it was also mentioned in the press. The Merchandise newspaper reported in 1892: “Zlatibor is a very healthy place. People who suffer from various lung diseases come here to recover. They are beeing sent here by the doctors….and to many of them it does good….As for the healthy people, it is good to spend a certain time in the fresh air, because a man regenerates completely and feels better and happier after spending here a certain time. What’s most unpleasant and unconvinient is the fact that on the very place of Zlatibor there no house or other building exists where a man could spend nights or find a shelter when it rains, except for the log cabins at merchant’s shepherds, but they are only for those boys “ /Đenić S., 2009 /
As the beginning of tourism development we take the year 1983, when King Aleksandar Obrenović visited it. Namely in the protocol of king’s official visit to Užice, an outdoor dinner near the water spring Kulaševac was planned.There are many written reports which confirm that it was an extraordinary event and welcome to the king was to be remembered. In the name of all Zlatibor people , Petar Mićić, president of Čajetina Municipality proposed a toast and asked the ruler for permission to rename the water spring Kulaševac into "King’s water", “so that this inexostable spring remains to remind us of king’s arrival to Zlatibor “. So Kulaševac got a new name and next year a fountain was built with the words carved onto a board: “King Aleksandar 1st, August 20th, 1893 “.
It was the first built object on this part of Zlatibor .In the year 1931 Kraljeva Voda (King’s water, today’s settlement Zlatibor) got its water supply. Water from Đurkovac fountain and from King Aleksandar fountain was pumped and transported into reservoir.
Another king of Serbia, Petar 1st Karađorđević visited this mountain in 1908. First he came to Zlatibor for health reasons but he liked it so much that he continued visiting this mountain beauty with his friends later. On the occasion of his first visit in 1908 first tourist objects were built on Zlatibor: the hotel "Kraljeva voda" (today this is the restaurant "Srbija" above the lake), villa "Čigota", and a bakery shop. After that the beginning of monden tourism started on Zlatibor for, if kings can have vacations on this mountain, why couldn’t others who have enough money and time. People started building summer houses. Most of them were built in the period between the two world wars at four localities: Ribnica, Kraljeve vode, Palisad and Oko. During 2nd World war a great number of them was damaged or torn down and today there is an initiative for 16 objects or villas to be put under state protection and be pronounced cultural monuments. Today only Aleksandar Pavlović’s villa, known as "Titova vila" (Villa of former Yugoslav president Tito), now a rest house of RTS (television) has been pronounced as cultural monument.